Join Adam & Jeff as we speak with Daphne McMenemy! Living in Oakville, which is 45 minutes outside of Toronto, Canadian, Daphne is an educator, author, speaker and the Managing Director of Code Breaker, Inc. Learn more about Daphne here:
Daphne’s Educator Journey
15 years ago, teaching primary – K-3;
3,1, & finally KDG
Looping – teaching kids two years in a row
Learned this was exactly where she was supposed to be – KDG
½ day vs. full-day
Back teaching 1,2 grades now
Gracie, What Happens When I Learn to Code, Grace: The Maker
Who is Gracie based on?
- Started over a twitter DM with Brian Aspinall
- When do you start writing a book…you just start.
- Gracie is based upon four different students.
- Grace Hopper is one of the first female programmers.
- Perseverance and collaboration
- Young students can solve problems and use higher order thinking.
- Many personal attributes are woven within the story.
Leadership doesn’t mean administrator
Kid first, not content.
Foster risk taking
8 years in, needed a change, discovered EdTech
Lone Wolf at her school at the time (with EdTech)
Plowed ahead, didn’t pay attention to her colleague’s pushback
Even if you are right, to keep thinking that you are and saying that you are can hinder your progress and burn bridges
What I learned is that I had isolated myself
As soon as I became a listener, I became a learner
Hopeful….that a result of the massive changes that educators are seeing in education in another way for the betterment of our children.
GUEST CONTACT INFO: