Join Adam & Jeff as we chat with former Principal of Gatewood Elem. in Hopkins School District, MN – Mark French!
Mark is also an author, having written the book, “Principals in Action” w/ Jay Posick & Ryan Sheehy.
What’s your leadership story?
- Started in Houston, TX
- First taught in 1984
- Tells principals or teachers now – contact a former principal or teacher to tell them how much they mean to you
- 38.5 years in education
- Transition to Retirement
- I’m sure you aren’t retiring, – will you be repurposing? What will you do first?
- Will be moving to Vancouver, Washington
- What advice do you have for principals that are within 10yrs of retirement? How do you plan and prepare for retirement?
- “Principals in Action” story
- Started with Adam Welcome, setting out challenges to principals to “Get Out of the Office”
- Principals in Action Voxer group is ongoing
- #piachat on Twitter; Tuesday nights
- We have to be able to share our vulnerabilities.
- Received all UNSAT is an evaluation
- Others have shared similar struggles
- Willing to remove blind spots
- Reach out to others
Advice for New Principals
- Find things that will bring you joy and hopeful
- Share those passions!
- Don’t let this be an isolating position – find people
- Don’t compare yourself with others
- “I am hopeful because of what teachers are doing now”
- Passion & Empathy & Compassion I am seeing from everyone in the field right now, and that they will carry
GUEST CONTACT INFORMATION