Math skills specialist, and c0-founder of the LED Project, Wilkie Law III, chats with us about his unique journey to becoming a teacher, the importance of understanding a person before we judge, and how his struggles in school taught him a valuable lesson.
Wilkie shares a powerful story about one of his students, why he teaches relationships over content, and how we need to cherish the human side of people.
- 0:42 – Shoutout to Barb Baker (@jawesomebaker) for the word to introduce Jeff with!
- 2:08 – Chatting about workshops and what makes PD effective.
- 14:52 – Shoutout and happy birthday to Wilkie’s brother, Cedric.
- 15:09 – Wilkie introduces himself.
- 16:21 – Wilkie shares the different careers that lead him to a career in education.
- 20:35 – Wilkie’s failure: Failing in school, and learning from that experience, the importance of understanding the person before judging.
- 23:50 – Wilkie’s successful moment: The growth of a student who had never passed a state test.
- 26:44 – What’s got Wilkie excited about education right now: His students.
- 30:17 – Wilkie’s advice for other educators: Focus on relationships.
- 33:17 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 36:59 – How to connect with Wilkie.
- EdTech Tool: Nearpod
- Book: “Dear To Lead” by Brene Brown
- Who to Follow: Dr. Shaun Woodly (@ShaunWoodly)
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: Lewis Howes
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Meditation, daily.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: “Don’t take it personal.”
Links to Connect With Wilkie
- Website: www.theledproject.com
- Twitter: @its_wil_law_iii
- Instagram: @its.wil.law.iii/ Or @valueaddsvalue
- Podcast: Value Adds Value