In this episode, best-selling author, speaker, and education consultant, Thomas C. Murray shares how we need to transform education, what drives him every day, and an important reminder of what our #1 job is.
Thomas shares where he sees failures in our current structure, the ways in which teachers are working to change things to prepare students for the future, and leaves us with some amazing resources, advice to live by, and inspiration to transform the world of education.
- 4:28 – What really drives Thomas.
- 5:59 – What your #1 job is.
- 7:02 – It doesn’t matter what your title is.
- 8:33 – A failure of the traditional structure.
- 9:22 – What does professional learning that actually works look like?
- 10:40 – Figuring out 10,000 ways that won’t work.
- 12:06 – One of Tom’s many failures: Palm Pilots.
- 18:19 – The use of technology.
- 22:32 – Modeling the mind set.
- 26:53 – Show them that we are learners right along side of them.
- 27:50 – The heart of teaching.
- EdTech Tool: Social media – Relationships for educators from around the world.
- Book: “Culturize” by Jimmy Casas
- Who to Follow: Future Ready Schools. Joe Sanfilippo, Jimmy Casas, Eric Sheninger, Brad Gustafson, Brianna Hodges, Sarah Thomas, Vince Scheivert, Carl Hooker, Shannon Miller, Mark Ray
- YouTube/Instagram/Website/Blog: Common Sense Education
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Spend time with your family.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: Relationships. Relationships. Relationships. “This job is about loving and caring about kids. Everything else is secondary.”
Links to Connect With Tom
- Twitter: @thomascmurray
- Website or Blog: www.thomascmurray.com
- Facebook Page: facebook.com/thomascmurrayllc
- Tom’s Latest Book: “Learning Transformed”