Teacher, psychologist, and author, Michael Rousell, chats with us about how we can use surprise to change the way our students think about education and themselves.
Michael delves into the science of surprise, shares a story of how he became “the master of the pause,” and talks about hypnotizing his students.'I teach my students how to use surprise strategically' - @rousellm from episode 115 of #TeachBetterTalk #Podcast #TeachBetter Click To Tweet
- 3:36 – Rae asks the most important question about the Teach Better Conference.
- Use code “PodcastTalk” to save $50 on your 2-day registration.
- 5:35 – Jeff talks about how good-looking Adam Welcome is.
- 6:57 – Talking about how the conference is structured and why Rae is so excited.
- 10:21 – Previewing the episode with Mike Rousell
- 12:34 – Mike introduces himself.
- 13:56 – Mike’s failure: Receiving a low teacher eval from students, and working too hard and not being himself.
- 18:38 – Mike’s success: Starting a class by doing the “Thriller” dance.
- 20:17 – What keeps Mike excited about education: Reaching students like himself.
- 24:10 – Mike delves into the element of surprise and how it works.
- 34:18 – 6 question answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 38:19 – How to connect with Mike.
- EdTech Tool: Blendspace
- Book: “Educated” by Tara Westover
- Who to Follow on Instagram: Daniel Pink (@DanielPink) and Amy Cuddy (@amyjcuddy)
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: Teach Better, Science Versus, A Mighty Girl
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Daily–Find the Funny in your Day. Weekly: exercise, eat well, enjoy life outside the classroom.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: Look after the students who are hardest to reach. They need you the most.
Links to Connect With Mike
- Website: michaelrousell.com
- Twitter: @rousellm
- Facebook Page: michael.a.rousell
- Book: “The Power of Surprise” (coming soon)