Dr. Matthew Barr chats with us about his research with video games, creating a work-based element in higher education, and telling too many dad jokes.
Matt shares how he accidentally enrolled in the wrong degree program, what he calls the “art of failing,” and why we need to stop wasting time over-preparing for things.'I prepare enough, but now I just go with the flow.' - @hatii_matt from episode 128 of #TeachBetterTalk #Podcast #TeachBetter Click To Tweet
- 1:15 – Talking about Rae’s sister and her veterinary program.
- 5:30 – Previewing the episode with Matt Barr.
- 8:40 – Matt introduces himself.
- 9:35 – Diving into Matt’s research into video games.
- 11:57 – Matt’s failure: Accidentally enrolling in geology.
- 17:13 – Matt’s success: Students taking positive things away from games, and getting positive coverage in the press.
- 22:02 – What’s keeping Matt excited about education: Their apprenticeship degree program.
- 26:55 – Matt’s advice for teachers: Don’t overthink it. Don’t waste energy on over-preparing.
- 29:39 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 34:03 – How to connect with Matt.
- EdTech Tool: Recorder app on his phone.
- Book: “The Secret Commonwealth” by Philip Pullman. “Video Gamers and Games in Therapy” by Antony Bean.
- Who to Follow on Instagram:
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: The Higher Education section of the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/education/higher-education) and the Imgflip.com meme generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator).
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Reflect.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: Learn to say ‘no’!
Links to Connect With Matt
- Website: matthewbarr.co.uk
- Twitter: @hatii_matt
- Facebook Page:
- Book: “Graduate Skills and Game-Based Learning” (Palgrave Macmillan) – http://bit.ly/GradSkillsGBL