“Empower Our Girls” co-authors, Lynn Colón and Adam Welcome, chat with us about their journey to writing the book, and why it’s not just about empowering girls, but empowering everyone.
Adam and Lynn talk about the power of mentors and connections, helping others overcome their insecurities, being intentional, why you need to tell your story, and the importance of believing students CAN succeed.
- 0:34 – Shoutout to Adam Welcome and Lynn Colón for Rae’s descriptive word.
- 4:40 – Chatting about PD and connecting with others.
- 6:45 – Jeff sings “You’re Welcome” from Moana.
- 7:02 – Previewing the episode with Lynn Colón and Adam Welcome
- 7:21 – Lynn introduces herself.
- 12:45 – Adam introduces himself.
- 14:08 – Chatting about Lynn and Adam’s book, “Empower Our Girls.”
- 18:53 – Adam and Lynn share how they met, and the journey to writing the book.
- 24:13 – What’s got Lynn and Adam excited about education right now:
- Adam: Relationships. The power of connection and coming together to grow.
- Lynn: The belief that all kids CAN, regardless of where they come from.
- 28:24 – Chatting about the importance of telling your story.
- 30:59 – Lynn and Adam’s advice to teachers:
- Lynn: Be intentional and pay attention.
- 35:22 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 40:40 – How to connect with Lynn and Adam.
- EdTech Tool:
- Who to Follow:
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine:
- Lynn: Run, meditate in the mornings, and do not skip breakfast
- Adam: Check Twitter.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received:
- Lynn: “If you can’t explain it simply. You do not understand it enough”
- Adam: “Don’t take personal. It’s not you, it’s them.”
Links to Connect With Adam
- Facebook Page:
- Book: Empower Our Girls
- Adam’s Other Books: