Director of Innovation and Instruction, Author, and the host of the Wired Educator Podcast, Kelly Croy, chats with us about his 28 years in education, why he believes in inspiration, and how good days and bad days all come down to a cultural experience.
Kelly discusses why we need to focus on creation over consumption, gives us a preview of his upcoming book, “Unthink Before Bed,” and shares how everything he does is an extension of his classroom.
- 0:36 – Shoutout to our Episode #15 guest, Meryl Brown.
- 2:00 – Jeff and Rae chat about Jeff’s new morning routine:
- Drink a full glass of water.
- Breathe – Jeff takes very deep breaths in through his nose, hold for 3 seconds, and then exhale through your mouth with pursed lips, pushing from your diaphragm.
- Stretch – Whatever type of stretching you can do. Stretch your arms, legs, back, neck.
- Give thanks – Jeff uses the 5 Minute Journal App.
- Visualize your day – What will make today awesome? (The 5 Minute Journal App works here too)
- 6:27 – Previewing the episode with Kelly Croy.
- 9:59 – Kelly introduces himself.
- 11:39 – Kelly tells us about his podcasts, “The Wired Educator” and “The Future Focused Podcast” and touches on his book, “Along Came A Leader.“
- 17:27 – Kelly chats about his upcoming book, “Unthink Before Bed.”
- 22:18 – Rae takes credit for doing all the work on our podcast.
- 22:54 – What’s got Kelly excited about education right now: Culture. Seeing school districts and leaders deciding that we really need to focus on the people; the students, the staff, and strengthen our culture.
- 31:32 – Kelly’s advice for teachers: Teaching is really hard. Teaching and leadership can be taught, but you will always be working on it. Kelly focuses on 6 areas:
- Focus on attitude.
- Be a life long learner.
- Tenacity – Never give up.
- Communication is key. (especially with parents)
- Have a vision of what teaching is.
- Be authentic.
- 36:41 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 39:01 – How to connect with Kelly.
- EdTech Tool: Flipgrid
- Book: “Tools of Titans” by Timothy Ferriss
- Who to Follow: Jimmy Casas (@casas_jimmy)
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: www.wirededucator.com and www.edutopia.org
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Journaling. (Here’s a link for some nice moleskin journals)
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: Don’t take everything so seriously.
Links to Connect With Kelly
- Website: www.kellycroy.com and www.wirededucator.com
- Twitter: @kellycroy and @wirededucator
- Email: Kelly@kellycroy.com
- Instagram: @kcroy
- Books: “Along Came A Leader”