Jaime Donally chats with us about AR and VR in education, how we need to adjust technology to fit our classrooms, and why we need to let our students be partners in the experiences.
Jaime shares why you don’t need to be the most tech savvy person to use tech in your classroom, what the first step to implementing AR/VR is, and why it’s really not about the tech tool at all.'There's a lot of great stuff coming out, but it doesn't necessarily mean it fits in a classroom.' - @JaimeDonally from episode 96 of #TeachBetterTalk #Podcast #TeachBetter Click To Tweet
- 0:33 – Rae explains her descriptive word choice…and makes fun of Jeff.
- 2:05 – One of the biggest mistakes people make with AR/VR.
- 9:17 – Jaime introduces herself.
- 11:00 – Jaime’s failure: Not naturally enjoying writing. Supporting Rachelle in a session, and sharing an article that created a very awkward atmosphere in the room.
- 16:01 – Jaime talks about her book “Learning Transported: Augmented Virtual Mixed Reality For All Classrooms.“
- 17:38 – Jaime’s success: Finishing the book. Working on a second book. Going out on her own, consulting with school districts.
- 19:38 – What’s got Jaime excited about education right now: Augmented Reality, and the tend that it’s not just for techies anymore.
- 22:25 – Jaime explains the differences between AR (Augmented Reality) and VR (Virtual Reality).
- 26:32 – Jaime’s advice for teachers new to AR/VR: There is no one tool. Every classroom is different. Address where your students are struggling.
- 29:12 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 33:07 – How to connect with Jaime.
- EdTech Tool: Merge
- Who to Follow: @ARVRinEdu, Michael Drezekk (@m_drez), Michael Fricano (@EdTechnocation), and Alfonzo Mendoza (@TechTeacher1381).
- And the #ARVRinEdu every Wednesday at 8pm CST.
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: All of the people mentioned above.
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Really connecting. Whatever social platform you’re on; make it intentional. Posting weekly something you’re doing. Write a blog monthly.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: “You don’t make this fit. You look at what you need, and then you find the tools to support it.”
Links to Connect With Jaime
- Website: www.arvrinedu.com
- Twitter: @JaimeDonally
- Instagram: @JaimeDonally
- YouTube: Jaime Donally
- Hashtags to Follow: #ARVRinEdu