5th grade teacher, Haylee Harwick, chats with us about investing the things that will actually help your students, utilizing a failure to fuel success, and why she is obsessed with podcasts in her classroom.
Haylee shares what it’s like being from a family of teachers, the importance of valuing the relationships you build on social media, and why you should be yourself, be interactive, and make a true effort to engage with others.
- 0:33 – Shout out to our guest, Haylee Harwick, for Rae’s descriptive word.
- 2:40 – Discussing the need for us to focus more energy on celebrating each other more often.
- 7:00 – Our challenge to you: Share out a celebration of at least 3 of your colleagues. Include #TeachBetter and #AppreciateBetter.
- 7:55 – Previewing the episode with Haylee Harwick
- 10:58 – Haylee introduces herself.
- Shoutout to Haylee’s Mother-In-Law, Lisa, who is a peach!
- 13:41 – Haylee’s failure: Being told she didn’t have what it takes to be a teacher.
- 18:07 – Haylee’s tip for teachers on Instagram: Be yourself. Be interactive. Make an effort to engage.
- 21:32 – Haylee’s success: Not playing it safe during her observation and getting a great response.
- 27:02 – What’s got Haylee excited about education right now: “I am obsessed with podcasts in the classroom.”
- 30:17 – Haylee’s advice for bringing innovation and engagement into our classrooms.
- 32:31 – Come hangout in Ohio this November! Use Haylee’s discount code “Haylee50” to save $50 on a 2-Day Registration at www.teachbetterconference.com.
- 33:07 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 34:14 – Jeff convinces Haylee to come to the Teach Better Conference.
- 32:52 – How to connect with Haylee.
- EdTech Tool: Google Suite
- Book: “The Essential 55” by Ron Clark
- Who to Follow: @maniacsinthemiddle
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: Mathantics and Gimkit
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Grade things as soon as they are finished so it doesn’t stack up on you.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: Pick one day a week to stay late, the rest of the week leave during contract hours.
Links to Connect With Haylee