Educator working as counselor, Hans Appel, talks with us about the importance of authenticity, what your school brand really is, and how the simplest things can completely “flip” someone’s day.
Hans chats with us about amplifying student voices, creating an exceptional school culture, and helping others find their joy.
- 0:39 – Shout Out to Michael Berger for Rae’s descriptive word!
- 1:40 – Talking about not letting excuses stop you from doing what’s important.
- 5:17 – Previewing the episode with Hans Appel.
- 9:04 – Hans introduces himself.
- 11:55 – Hans’ failure: Learning from a scary moment with some students, and how their school culture was not what they thought it was.
- 16:38 – Hans shares what they have done to flip their school culture: It starts with having a consistent social-emotional learning piece.
- 21:38 – Rae’s challenge to YOU.
- 23:39 – What’s got Hans excited about education right now: Amplifying student voice through authentic audience.
- 28:21 – Check out their student-lead podcast, Award winning Culture. Subscribe, rate, and leave a review!
- 30:22 – Hans’ advice for teachers looking to reach students more deeply: Stay a lifelong learner. Don’t just say it, live it.
- 32:51 . – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds.
- 35:32 – How to connect with Hans
- EdTech Tool: Twitter
- Book: “Dare to Lead” by Brene Brown and “Lens of Serendipity” by Allyson Apsey.
- Who to Follow: John Norlin, David Geurin
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: Michael Matera’s YouTube Channel
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Take my AWESOME dog (Maya) for a 3 mile walk every morning. Find something that gets you feeling good in the morning, and do that consistently.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: First year as a counselor my vice principal at the time, Dan Easton said: “There’s never a point where you’re completely caught up. Give yourself permission to be done for the day and come back FRESH tomorrow.
Links to Connect With Hans
- Website: www.awardwinningculture.com
- Twitter: @hansappel094 @emswildcats1 @awculture
- Instagram: @emscounseling @awardwinningculture
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/-vc7XE4J4Fs