Director of Learning and Innovation, and author of “The Revolution,” Derek McCoy, chats with us about loving what we do and who we do it with, bringing the excitement and joy, and how magic can take place if we embrace it.
Derek talks about doing better for our learners, taking care of ourselves, and how change is the only constant we have in our lives.'It's not about technology. It's about, how can we provide the best learning opportunities.' - @mccoyderek from episode 97 of #TeachBetterTalk #Podcast #TeachBetter Click To Tweet
- 1:07 – Highlighting some featured speakers at the Teach Better Conference. Use code “PodcastTalk” to save $50.
- 6:39 – Previewing the episode with Derek McCoy
- 9:30 – Derek introduces himself.
- 11:27 – Derek dives into the details of his book “The Revolution: It’s Time to Empower Change in Our Schools” written with Darren Ellwein.
- 14:18 – Derek’s failure: Managing change at schools is an ongoing challenge.
- 18:07 – Ways Derek’s district tries to communicate to their community that they care and are there for the right reasons.
- 22:08 – What’s got Derek excited about education right now: Seeing and hearing stories of schools/teachers/principals/districts taking risks to abandon practices that we’ve just been doing out of tradition or habit.
- 24:16 – Derek’s advice to new teachers: Take your K-16 experience, love it, but put it in a small jar. Know that your learners are going to need something fundamentally different.
- 33:26 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 37:16 – How to connect with Derek.
- EdTech Tool: Evernote
- Book: “Relentless” by Hamish Brewer
- Who to Follow: Jimmy Casas (@casas_jimmy) Marlena Gross-Taylor (@mgrosstaylor) Dwight Carter (@Dwight_Carter) Darren Ellwein (@dellwein)
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Take care if yourself. Workout, some kind of way, 2-3 days a week.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received:
- “Inspect what you expect.”
- “Hold people’s feet to the fire while you’re giving them a back rub.”
Links to Connect With Derek