Vice Principal, Dan Finn, chats with us about earning respect, building relationships, and driving a positive culture in your school, and shares how he views the potential impact we all have when it comes to helping each other impact students
Dan talks about the power of reflection, the importance of balance, and how consistency and humility will help you continue to learn, grow, and be better for your students.
- 0:36 – Shoutout to Chad Ostrowski (@chadostrowski) for Rae’s descriptive word.
- 1:47 – Chatting about taking a minute to relax and take time for yourself.
- 8:26 – Previewing the episode with Dan Finn.
- 11:20 – Dan introduces himself.
- 13:33 – Dan’s failure: Not pushing kids enough as critical thinkers.
- 17:03 – Dan’s success: A student from his first year of teaching came up to him at a pizza place and let him know it was Dan who got him to even show up for school. Mount Holly’s “On Time For Class” challenge.
- 21:25 – What’s got Dan excited about education right now: The impact we can have, directly or indirectly, on students. Tech being used to help personalize education.
- 25:18 – Dan’s advice for teachers looking to stay progressive: Remain consistent. Know that it gets a little easier as you go on. Keep your humility. Be willing to grow.
- 28:26 – Dan chats about
- 32:21 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 16:18 – How to connect with Dan.
- EdTech Tool: Remind App
- Book: “The Total Money Makeover” by Dave Ramsey and “Smart Money, Smart Kids.” by Dave Ramsey and Rachel Cruze.
- Who to Follow: @HolbeinSchool
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: writeonfighton.org
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Data review…but your own data. Determine what you want to improve, collect data, and analyze.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: “You’re either green and growing or ripe and rotting.” – Frosty Westering. And the worst reason to do something ever is because that’s how it’s always been done.
Links to Connect With Daniel