In this episode, we chat with Alex Oris, Joe Nowak, and two awesome high school students at Cuyahoga Falls High School in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. We chat about the broadcasting program they have started at their school, how it’s helping to shape their future, and why student voice, creativity, and freedom are so important in education right now.
- 1:00 – Chatting a bit about student voice and student choice.
- 9:18 – Noah and DJ introduce themselves.
- 9:57 – Noah and DJ share a bit about their school, Cuyahoga Falls High School.
- 10:40 – Noah and DJ tell us a bit about their broadcasting program they have started at CFHS.
- 13:16 – The biggest things DJ and Noah have taken from their broadcasting classes.
- 15:38 – Some of the challenges they’ve faced so far with their broadcasting program, and the shows they produce.
- 17:08 – The students weigh in on what they wish teachers knew about students.
- 18:58 – Talking creativity.
- 20:48 – Alex and Joe share reflect on the growth they’ve seen in their students during the growth of the broadcasting program.
- 24:02 – Alex touches on how they’re using broadcasting to connect their high school and middle school students to develop more skills in their middle school students, while building the program.
- 25:23 – Advice for schools or teachers who may want to start a broadcasting program.
- 30:00 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less – DJ and Noah Edition!
- 33:32 – How to connect with everyone.
- One Piece of Technology You Can’t Live Without: Our Phones
- What’s Better, Books, Podcasts, or Movie?: Podcasts / Movies
- Favorite Movie and Podcast: Movie – Titanic. Podcast – Welcome to Night Vale
- What’s the hottest app/social media amongst teens right now: Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received:
- “Sometimes the best way to handle scenarios is to not do anything about it.”
- “Yesterday’s history. Tomorrow’s a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present.”
Links to Connect
- Website: www.cfalls.org, mroristech.com
- Twitter: @DJhottake1, @strider64832639, @cf_nowak, @mrORIStech
- Instagram: @dustin.330