ISTE STEM Co-Chairs, Charles Randolph and Steven Jones, chat with us about listening to your students, putting your ego aside, and personalizing learning for everyone.
We talk about connecting content to real world solutions, exploring artificial intelligence, and the rise of esports.
More at www.teachbetter.com/podcast/charlesrandolph-stevenjones'You've got to get out of your classroom and see all the things going on.' - @charlesrandolp3 from episode 118 of #TeachBetterTalk #Podcast #TeachBetter Click To Tweet 'The idea is to use this technology in a meaningful way to help improve the lives of others.' - @MrJonesTeaches from episode 118 of #TeachBetterTalk #Podcast #TeachBetter Click To Tweet
- 0:35 – Shoutout to Marcela for Rae’s descriptive word for Jeff!
- 1:22 – Chatting about being connected virtually.
- 4:49 – Previewing the episode with Charles Randolph and Steven Jones
- 7:55 – Charles and Steven introduce themselves.
- 9:49 – Charles and Steven share how they got connected.
- 12:05 –
- Charles’ failure: Not being able to work with all his teachers on PD.
- Steven’s failure: Creating his own curriculum, taking feedback, and having to adjust.
- 12:54 –
- Steven’s success: Implementing his STEM program.
- Charles’ success: Deploying personalized devices to his entire district.
- 20:48 – What’s got you excited about education right now:
- Steven: ISTE STEM programs and the opportunities they’re providing, Artificial Intelligence (AI), and using 3-D printing.
- Charles: Working with ISTE STEM and driving diversity in STEM and STEAM. Loving AR (Augmented Reality), VR (Virtual Reality), and drones.
- 26:25 – Jeff rudely interrupts Rae to rant about esports.
- 29:45 – Charles and Steven’s advice for new teachers who want to be progressive:
- Charles: Research and talk to different educators. Go out to different schools and talk to people.
- Steven: Observe others. Don’t get discouraged when things get difficult.
- 33:38 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 35:53 – How to connect with Charles and Steven.
Charles and Stevens’ Recommendations
- EdTech Tool:
- Charles: iPhone
- Steven: Surface Pro
- Who to Follow on Twitter:
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine:
- Charles: Reading and checking out ISTE STEM and ISTE Connect.
- Steven: Turn off your devices and find a little bit of time to reset.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received:
- Charles: If you have the tools, you can do anything you want.
- Steven: Make sure you make time for yourself. It’s impr
Links to Connect With Charles and Steven