Assistant superintendent, Bradford Hubbard, talks with us about the importance of focusing on equity and social emotional learning, his mission to ignite passion and discovery in every student, and embracing the idea of creating an environment where all kids feel welcomed, and heard, and seen, and loved.
Brad shares the early lesson he learned about relationships, why we need to celebrate all wins, and the event that changed the way he looks at his responsibilities.
- 0:36 – Shoutout to Jess Hamilton for providing Rae’s descriptive word today.
- 1:39 – Jeff embarrasses Rae by complimenting how hard she works.
- Catch our FREE Summer PD Series in our Private Facebook Group
- 6:42 – Rae asks Jeff if he’ll pay for her coffee, because apparently this podcast is the right time to ask about company expenses…<rolls eyes>
- 7:18 – Previewing the episode with Bradford Hubbard.
- 10:57 – Brad introduces himself.
- 14:27 – Brad’s failure: Missing the fact that building relationships is the fundamental piece of education.
- 19:50 – Recalling Jimmy Casas’s father’s advice to him: “When you walk into a room, make sure you leave that room with more energy than when you found it.” From episode #19 with Jimmy Casas.
- 21:26 – Brad’s success: Having a student hold up their Challenge Coin he had given him 2.5 years earlier, and the student then posted on Instagram how that receiving that coin was one of his most memorable moments from high school.
- 29:06 – What’s got Brad excited about education right now: The idea of working toward and being explicit about out goals with respect to equity.
- 32:42 – Brad’s advice to teachers: 1) Continue to build your Professional Learning Network (PLN); and 2) Tread lightly, because in every interaction, we are walking upon people’s dreams and futures. We can fundamentally change the trajectory of a student’s experience, perspective, and live.
- 36:47 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 39:25 – How to connect with Brad.
- EdTech Tool: PearDeck
- Book: Radical Inclusion – Gen. Martin Dempsey and Ori Brafman
- Who to Follow: Adam Welcome, Mandy Froehlich
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: Teach Better, Alice Keeler (teacher tech), Jennifer Gonzalez (Cult of Pedagogy)
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Celebrate wins big and small; write notes of praise/thanks and make positive phone calls home; get in other classrooms; schedule time for yourself.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received:
- Make it Matter
- Tread Lightly
- Love, serve, lead, grow, change, develop, improve with urgency, but not with haste. Taken from a Mumford & Sons song “Not With Haste.”
Links to Connect With Bradford
- Website: https://sites.google.com/a/chsd117.org/principal-s-perspective-by-mr-hubbard/home
- Twitter: @hubbardbradford
- Instagram: @hubbardbradford
- Come Meet Bradford in November! Teach Better Conference Presenter! Nov. 8 and 9 in Akron, OH. More at www.teachbetterconference.com. Use discount code “PodcastTalk” to save $50 on either of the 2-day registration options.