Author, speaker, and dreamer, Amanda Fox, chats with us about the importance of recalibrating after a failure, building relationships for the foundation of how we help students, and how to make sure technology is for our students, not just us.
Amanda talks us through AR and VR in education, how we need to really think through the problems we’re trying to solve, and why you should surround yourself with dreamers.'I'm a dreamer who's been lucky enough to see some of my dreams come to fruition.' - @AmandaFoxSTEM from episode 91 of #TeachBetterTalk #Podcast #TeachBetter Click To Tweet
- 1:15 – Talking about purposeful tech integration.
- 6:07 – Preview the episode with Amanda Fox.
- 8:30 – Amanda introduces herself.
- 9:59 – Amanda’s failure: Seeing early success with after school programs, expanding quickly, and renting an actual brick and mortar makerspace for after school programs. Focused on her problem of moving equipment, NOT what students and parents needed.
- 15:11 – Chatting about Amanda’s books:
- 19:34 – Your chance to win your own Zip the Zombie!
- 22:56 – What’s got Amanda excited about education right now: Figuring out the best uses for new technology. AR/VR in education getting outside of the fad and getting used in ways that get students creating.
- 25:35 – Amanda’s advice to teachers: It comes down to relationships. Build a PLN.
- 27:56 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 30:13 – How to connect with Amanda.
- EdTech Tool: Google Suite
- Book: “Educated By Design” by Michael Cohen and “One Drop of Kindness” by Jeff Kubiak
- Who to Follow: @GameboyDrew, @sarahdateechur, @burgessdave
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: Steve Bambury AR/VR on YouTube
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Blogging. Period.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: “Surround yourself with dreamers.”
Links to Connect With Amanda
- Website: teachignlandthebook.com or STeampunksedu.com
- Twitter: @AmandaFoxSTEM @Zip_the_ZomBe and check out @mrsmeweeks
- Instagram: @AmandaFoxPopuli
- YouTube Channel: AmandaFoxFlipped
- Podcast: The Virtual Reality Podcast