Allyson Apsey chats with us about navigating the challenges and joys of being an educator, being yourself, and making the decision to enjoy the day.
Allyson shares why we need to value what our students value, not being afraid to ask questions, and how loving kids is a prerequisite for teaching.'I truly believe we all have valuable ideas to share with each other, and we're all better for sharing those ideas.' - @allysonapsey from episode 121 of #TeachBetterTalk #Podcast #TeachBetter Click To Tweet
- 1:34 – Discussing the November #TeachBetter Challenge on social media.
- 4:13 – Jeff gives his answer for Day 2 of the challenge.
- 6:03 – Previewing the episode with Allyson Apsey.
- 10:54 – Allyson introduces herself
- 12:16 – Allyson’s failure: Failing at communication and hurting relationships.
- 14:53 – Allyson’s success: Publishing a book. People having an interest in what she writes.
- 16:09 – Allyson shares the books she has published:
- 17:38 – Allyson talks about her next book!
- 20:33 – What’s keeping Allyson excited about education: Working on a multi-tiered system of support for student behavior.
- 24:09 – Allyson’s advice to new teachers: Value what students value. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- 29:08 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 34:36 – We review Allyson’s answers from episode 5.
- 37:06 – How to connect with Allyson.
- EdTech Tool: Lapel microphone.
- Book: “America’s First Daughter” by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie.
- Who to Follow on Instagram: Tamara Letter, Jon Wennstrom, Hans Appel, and Jennifer Appel.
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: Real Rap with Reynolds
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Every morning, tell yourself that you are going to enjoy the day and picture how you are going to make that happen.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: Don’t try to be anyone else. There is only one you.
Links to Connect With Allyson
- Website: AllysonApsey.com
- Twitter: @AllysonApsey
- Facebook Page: @AllysonApsey
- Instagram: @AllysonApsey
- YouTube: AllysonApsey