What if, in the world of education, grades did not exist? This week’s guest, Starr Sackstein, shares how she removed grades from her classroom, focused on critical feedback to her students, and incorporated social emotional and equity components to the assessment process.I'm listening to the #AspireLead podcast featuring Starr Sackstein as she shares about critical feedback vs. grades. Click To Tweet
In this episode, we discuss:
- Systems of evidence mastery
- Changing the way we assess
- The stigma that is attached to grades
- And Starr’s new book, Assessing with Respect: Everyday Practices That Meet Students’ Social and Emotional Needs
About Starr Sackstein:
Starr Sackstein is a recovering perfectionist who is an assessment reforming enthusiast. Currently, she works with teacher teams to engage students in the learning process, advocate for personal growth, and effectively use student data to drive instruction with the Core Collaborative. She also works as publisher for Mimi & Todd Press. In her past lives, she was a high school English and journalism teacher, a lead Humanities learner, and social media manager. Additionally, Starr is an author, blogger, and speaker committed to changing the way we do assessment nationally and globally. Her most recent book is called Assessing with Respect: Everyday Practices that Meet Students’ Social and Emotional Needs with ASCD. When Starr isn’t evangelizing about grading reform, she is the wife to Charlie, mindfulness mountain biker extraordinaire, and mother to Logan, a high school student, and gamer and Huxley the cat, an aging Abyssinean.
Follow Starr Sackstein
- Website: www.mssackstein.com
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/mssackstein (@MsSackstein)
- Instagram: Starr53177
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MsSackstein
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/starrsackstein/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StarrSackstein
Are you a superfan of the Aspire podcast? Well, now you can show off your support with the new Aspire swag, featuring tee shirts, hoodies and a variety of drinkware. You can find all your Aspire Swag at www.teachbetter.com/swag
Use Discount Code: ASPIRE for 25% OFF
Tee-Shirts, Hoodies, and Drinkware: ASPIRE: The Leadership Development Podcast
This post contains affiliate links.
When you make a purchase through these links, The Aspire Podcast gets a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
Need a Presenter for a conference or school PD?
Contact Joshua Stamper for presentations on Restorative Practices, Leadership Development, and Innovative campus systems.
Watch my session on Trauma Informed, restorative and social emotional practices at www.teachsummit.com/stamper
Follow the Host, Joshua Stamper:
- Contact: https://joshstamper.com/contact/
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/Joshua__Stamper
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/joshua__stamper
- Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/joshua-stamper
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AspirePodcast
- Subscribe: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/aspire-the-leadership-development-podcast/id1384210762?mt=2
Review the Podcast
The ranking of this show is 100% tied to subscriptions and reviews. You can help me reach more school leaders by subscribing to the show and leaving an honest rating and review on your favorite podcast platform.